Thursday, December 18, 2008

Yellow Jackets in December

I love Christmas. The hot chocolate, the lights, decorations, presents, cookies, gaining ten pounds, the tree! Oh wait we don't have a tree.
After we got married for our first Christmas together we decided to go to Home Depot and buy our first artificial christmas tree (since we had a gift card there) If was only like $70 it was a really pretty tree too! During the move I noticed that the box for the Christmas tree had gotten wet. I was hoping that the damage was not too bad, but when we opened it up, man it smelled. It had gotten moldy on some of the branches. We were deciding whether to just throw it out or try and clean it when we noticed a small yellow jacket. It looked dead but the longer it was in the warmth it started to move and clean itself. That was when we figured out that some lovely yellow jackets had built a nest in the box and were hibernating. Man we got that box outside so fast! STUPID yellow jackets! Now we don't have a tree for Christmas. All of the decent trees we looked at are so expensive! They ranged anywhere from $160-$300. That is a lot of money! So our plan is to go shopping the day after Christmas for one when hopefully they will be like 75% off. (I hope)

2 comments:

  1. That is too funny! Good thing you didn't get stung. I read a blog that they had cut down a tree themselves and one day they had hundreds of baby praying mantises all over (there was an egg in the tree). Thank goodness you didn't wake up christmas morning to a swarm of yellow jackets. I'm sure there will be great deals after christmas. I should have had Craig cut down a tree for you guys from his cabin. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar thing happen to me only it was a wreath on the door. I brought it back in the house after the holidays and there was a nest of yellow jackets that did infest my storage room. I had to just throw out the wreath. What a mess!! Hope you and Mike are doing well and happy in your new house.

    ReplyDelete